Are you interested in a country called Spain, that it is much more than bullfighters and flamenco? Do you feel like knowing something more about its culture, people, idiosyncrasy or its current situation? Please, come in

Thanks to these friends for following

Saturday 24 April 2010

ISABEL GUERRA, THE NUN PAINTER


A few years ago I went to see an exhibition of paintings from someone to whom, until then I hadn’t heard of, but we went because someone told us it was worth going to have a look and I also had some curiosity because of the personality of the artist, the painter was a nun ... ... .. so we went to have a look…….and the truth is that I was impressed after leaving the exhibition.

Four years ago I saw her again and this time I bought a book, to be able to see from time to time her wonderful paintings and of course, whenever I hear of any new exhibition with her works I will go, though it is a fact that she doesn’t lavishes too much as her exhibitions are held every three or four years.

This artist was born in Madrid in 1947 and it seems her interest in painting was sparked at age 12 when someone gave her a box of oil. She is completely self taught and loves the great masters whom she has seen often in the Prado Museum in Madrid, especially Velázquez. At 23 he entered the Cistercian monastery of Santa Lucia in Zaragoza and from that time has lived her life trying to combine her two vocations: painting and religious life.

Her style is hyper-realistic, her paintings seems to be real photographs and something that caught my attention when I first knew her paintings is the large domain that she has of the colour and especially the handling of light. She is a brilliant portraitist and paints mainly young women and children, but also still lifes and landscapes and her characters transmit a spirituality that is evident in their gestures and glances.

She has made more than twenty solo exhibitions and many other group and has received quite a few awards and medals and she is a member of two Royal Academies of Fine Arts. In this selection I have made of some of her paintings you can judge if you believe that all these honors are deserved or not ... .....













What do you think of the work of this special painter?


12 comments:

  1. These look so real! Are you sure they are not photos? She's got great talent.
    Hugs from Ohio,
    I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ivanhoe, they are paintings really! She is great, isn't it? Have a nice week in Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARAVILLOSO, NO CONOCIA A ESTA ARTISTA Y ME HE QUEDADO IMPRESIONADA SUS PINTURAS SON TAN REALES QUE ES INCREIBLE, SEGURO QUE EN MI PROXIMO VIAJE A ESPANA IRE A VERLAS PERSONALMENTE.
    ANA MARIA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! what beauty. They truly take my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ana Maria, me alegro mucho de que hayas descubierto, a través de este blog, a esta gran pintora que es Isabel Guerra. Muchas gracias por tu comentario y por tu visita, y me encantaria volver a verte de nuevo por aqui y para cualquier información ya sabes donde estoy. Te envio muchos saludos,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I was in an exhibition of Isabel Guerra some years ago and I was amazed and thrilled, I bought a book with her paintings at the exhibition and I look at the pictures from time to time, she is really a great and wonderful artist. Though it is a shame that she doesn't hold exhibitions very often, unluckily. But without any doubt when I know about a next exhibition of her works I will tell it here!

    Warm regards,

    ReplyDelete
  7. This artist is a master. She leaves you convinced that we are more than just our bodies or how can a person be the author of such beauty??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you, I love this artist since I first visited an exhibition of her. Thanks for your visit and comment here and I am very happy you have known and enjoyed Isabel Guerra's work through this blog. Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  9. No encontre ninguna palabra que pueda definir la perfeccion y limpiesa de su trabajo! Simplemente la palabra se la quedo Dios solo para ella.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gracias por tu comentario, que creo que has resumido muy bien al decir que no hay realmente palabras para definir el maravilloso trabajo de Isabel Guerra. Un saludo y gracias por tu visita,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think she has a great talent.The woman and the little boy is so tender!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angela, I totally agree with you, she is a great painter!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you very much for taking the time to leave the gift of your comment. Have a nice day!

Bienvenido y muchas gracias por dejarme el regalo de tu comentario. ¡Que tengas un gran dia!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...